Do people look to you for advice or spiritual counsel? When those opportunities come up, do you sometimes feel inadequate to the task? Or do you plunge right in without really taking time to touch the person’s soul? If you want to be more spiritually effective in helping others with problems in their lives, you will benefit by the teaching and practice presented in the Certificate in Spiritual Direction curriculum offered by NewWay Ministries and Dr. Larry Crabb in collaboration with Christian University GlobalNet.
Downloadable Program Brochure (PDF Format): Certificate in Spiritual Direction Program
Please note: Additional information concerning the NewWay Ministries’ portion of this certificate (including current costs) can be found on their website: www.newwayministries.org.
Core 1: Self-Study
Larry J. Crabb, Ph.D.
Dr. Larry J. Crabb is the Founder and Director of NewWay Ministries and the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for Colorado Christian University. He received his B.S. from Ursinus College and an M.A. and a Ph.D. from the University of Illinois. Renowned for being one of the leading Christian psychologists and authors in the world today, Dr. Crabb’s illustrious career in academia has spanned more than four decades. Currently he is the Distinguished Scholar in Residence for…
Christian University GlobalNet Cost:
Registration fee: $15
~One week at School of Spiritual Direction: $1,965 (double occupancy; includes tuition, lodging, all meals and snacks.)
~Another week at "Next Step" School of Spiritual Direction: $1,965 (double occupancy; includes tuition, lodging, all meals and snacks.)
~One SoulCare Experience Resource Kit: $159.95 (Lead your own small group in local church context)
Total NewWay Ministry Cost: $2,224.95 (with small group option) or $4,030 (with Next Step option)
Total Program Cost: $2,399.95 (with Small Group option) or $4,205 (with Next Step option)
Christian University GlobalNet
Address: 3000 Kraft Ave, Grand Rapids, MI 49512
Phone: (888) 487-5376 ext. 1
Association of Christian International
Address: P.O. Box 393, Silverthorne, CO 80498
Phone: (970) 262-9110
1. Complete the SoulCare Foundations Curriculum offered through Christian University GlobalNet (in association with Our Daily Bread Ministries). The four online courses, taught by Dr. Larry Crabb, are described above. The curriculum includes video lectures, interaction with fellow students, and course examinations. Follow these steps in order to complete the SoulCare Foundations curriculum:
a. Register as a student at Christian University GlobalNet (CUGN) by clicking here. Under "Which Program" question, select "NewWay Ministries track" and then complete above Admissions Requirements.
b. Receive welcome instructions via email from the Admissions office and enroll in your first SoulCare course at cugn.org.
c. CUGN will monitor your coursework and validate satisfactory completion of each course. Course grades will be placed on your official transcript once your course has been validated.
d. Request a transcript sent to NewWay Ministries by clicking here.
2. Attend the one-week School of Spiritual Direction (SSD) (www.newwayministries.org/ssd.php) offered by Dr. Larry Crabb and NewWay Ministries. This school occurs several times each year in Colorado Springs (at the Glen Eyrie Conference Center) or in Asheville, North Carolina (at The Billy Graham Training Center at The Cove).
3. Complete one of the following two options:
Option 1: Attend the one-week NextStep School of Spiritual Direction (after you have attended an SSD) offered by Dr. Larry Crabb and NewWay Ministries. This event occurs one time a year. For more information and dates click here.
Option 2: Lead at least one small group through The SoulCare Experience video curriculum based on the book SoulTalk written by Dr. Larry Crabb. For more information or to order click here. Group participants are required to complete a leader evaluation form. Click here for evaluation form.
Recommended, but not required:
Read 66 Love Letters: A Conversation with God That Invites You Into His Story, by Dr. Larry Crabb, and complete assigned reflection paper. Click here for instructions on reflection paper.
WHEN ALL OBJECTIVES ARE COMPLETED, PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION TO NEWWAY MINISTRIES:
- The completed Application for Certificate in Spiritual Direction found at http://www.newwayministries.org/pdfs2/Application_for_Certificate_in_Spiritual_Direction.pdf
- Official transcript from CUGN (may be emailed to Andi Sigler)
- The SoulCare Experience leader evaluation forms (if applicable)
- The 66 Love Letters reflection paper (if applicable)
- A check for $40.00 payable to NewWay Ministries
Please mail all of the above to the following:
PO Box 393
Silverthorne, CO 80498